When you are planning to build your computer, you need to understand the parts of the motherboard. This is essential for you to know the importance of each piece and what makes your system slower or faster. And the good thing here is that you’ll learn how to choose your own computer parts wisely.
The following explains the significant parts of the motherboard
1. CPU socket – is a part of the motherboard that holds the processor in the proper place. Sometimes called ZIF socket (zero insertion force) because it allows the processor to be inserted without any resistance or effortless and to be locked in the proper place with the lever arm.
2. Chipset – It comes with two parts the Northbridge and the Southbridge chipset. The Northbridge handles the communications between the processor, RAM, ROM BIOS, PCI-E, and AGP. It also connects the Southbridge. The Southbridge manages the slower capabilities of the motherboard such as the SATA, IDE, USB, Audio, and LAN. In short, the Northbridge is a memory controller for fast, and the Southbridge is an I/O controller for slower capabilities. In the AMD64 processor, the Northbridge was integrated into the processor.
3. Memory slot – It holds the memory module of your computer. Sometimes it is called memory banks. It has 2 types, the single channel, and the dual channel. With the single channel, you can install any number of memories while in the dual channel you can only install the memories in pair with the same size and speed.
4. Interface connectors – It connects the drives from the motherboard. IDE or ATA (advanced technology attachment) It combines the hard drives and optical drives in which you can attach 2 trips on the same cable one for the master, and the other is the slave. The newer motherboard uses SATA (serial advanced technology attachment) it is much faster than the ATA, but it can only support one drive. And the older floppy drives connector which is almost obsolete nowadays. It can only help the floppy drive.
5. Expansion slots – There are 3 types of expansion slots that are most popular in use today. First is the AGP (accelerated graphics ports) slot, this is being used in video card. It comes with 2x, 4x and 8x speed in which the 8x is the fastest. Second is the PCI (peripheral component interconnect) slot, which is the commonly used on almost all cards like, LAN, sound, modem and other I/O controllers. And the latest PCI-Express (or simply PCI-E) slot, PCI-E 16x is mainly used for the graphics card which is now the most widely used because it is much faster than the AGP. The PCI-E 1x is being used for standard add-in cards such as LAN card, sound card, and other peripheral add-in cards.
6. Back panel connectors – This part is connectors at the back of the casing of your CPU. They are used to connect your mouse, keyboard, printer, monitor, audio, mic, and other peripherals you may want to join.But the most important thing about all parts of the motherboard is the electrical support system. Power supply unit is another device from the motherboard, but this should not be ignored. what if the motherboard’s electricity needs are not met, then this is the case for the PC. this of course can damage other devices slowly.